Old 30-04-2008, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Gabbages

"mw80" wrote in message

Hi Mary

It isn't slugs.....they certainly haven't been eaten by anything. More
sort of wilted and died! They haven't even gone in the ground yet as
all i had done was pot them on and leave them in my cold frame.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Would too much lime cause this as i may have been heavy handed with
it?!!

I doubt it.

What is the purpose of copper around the cabbages? Could you explain
how you do this in a little more detail?

The slugs slide along on their slimy bellies (OK so it's a foot). There's an
interaction between the reactive copper and the slime which they can't
abide. I've watched one trying to slide up a ring and turning round,
hurriedly, back to nice safe soil.

Spouse cuts Cu sheet into 4 x 10" pieces, give or take. There are different
sizes for different plants. The metal is coiled into a slightly overlapping
ring, put round the plant stem (it's slightly springy) and pushed into the
soil for at least an inch. I leave the rings in place until I harvest the
plant.

If a longer ring is required two or more can be linked together.

Mary