Old 30-04-2008, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Gabbages

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:47:30 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:54:58 -0500, Omelet wrote:

Cabbages do better in winter.
--

I'm testing that this year....

I am sick to effing death of cabbage looper eater things. I'm thinking
that since they disappear by late summer, I'll start and set out
brassicas for fall harvest.

Charlie

Couldn't hurt. :-)

That's what I thought, plus it leaves me more room for summer crop.
I've read brussels sprouts taste better with a frosting anyway. ;-)

Will they grow in shade or does it matter?
I need to consider putting in some chard.

Brassicas require quite a bit of sun, so it is said.
Chard will grow in partial sun, or so it is said. ;-)

I grew in partial sun during the winter last time I did them.
Pretty plants and OH so tasty:

http://i17.tinypic.com/8ezxbua.jpg

If you are having trouble with caterpillars, try some BT.

I am hesitant to use BT as I have dill that attracts swallowtails and
have caterpillars from them every year. They are usually doing their
thing at the same time as the other dumb things. sigh...

So don't spray it on the dill?

A good place to move Swallowtails to is Parsley. It'll help on your
dill if you did not plant enough. They also like fennel.

Perhaps "time, time, time.. is on my side, yes it is.", when it comes
to brassica.

Charlie

Indeed. :-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson