Old 30-04-2008, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Are you 'breaking the rules' by growing fruit or vegetables in your flower beds?

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message newsmpomelet-

Globe artichokes, great geometric folliage for the ornamental garden.

David

I've never been able to get artichokes to stay alive. :-( Not even
potted 2 year old plants from the nursery...

What conditions do you give them? I live in South Central Texas near
Austin.

Peace! Om

The climate here is warm temperate but can be very hot in summer (100F or
more
is fairly common) and cool in winter (around freezing) but it never snows
or
freezes. Artichokes quite like the cooler months here but go backwards
when
it is very hot. They also dislike it when it is very dry and I have to
water
carefully then. The soil is heavy and fertile.

The flowers are also rather attactive but if you leave them go that long I
would have to come and scold you for inattention and carelessness.

David

I'm guessing the mistake I made then was leaving them in a pot. ;-)

I'd rarely let flowers mature. Too tasty! ;-d

I would guess it would be a good time to call the Ag advisor, to ask
what you can do to remediate your garden to the likes of an artichoke.
--

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related