Old 30-04-2008, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Maggie's Mom Maggie's Mom is offline

Default scale on orchids?!

As I keep my orchids (and most of other plants too) in one room, isolating
would probably come too late. I will have to treat everything in the room,
and possibly everything in the house - large palm in the living room, and
some succulents nearby. I've had scale before, only not on orchids. Hence I
know that preventive spraying on other plants, even though they don't show
any signs of scale (yet) is very important to end infestation fast.

I will look up the Schultz spray, and compare it with Bayer. Bayer worked
amazingly fast on scale infestation before, so this was my first choice -
and it seems to be very gentle on plants. I have some very sensitive ferns,
that were drenched in the bug killer - and there were no ill effects on
them, except it killed off all the adult scale within 24 hours.

I guess I do need to do some reading, before I do harm to my plants - thank
you all for your input and for help.

Peace, - Maggie's Mom.

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Hi Mom,
I have had good success with a product called
GARDEN SAFE HOUSEPLANT SPRAY by Schultz. There is also one for Roses.
The main ingredient is .01% Pyritherins. Be sure to check this as the
spray bottles look the same.

Now more importantly, try to isolate the plants have scale because they
breed & move
fast!!!

Also bear in mind that if you use something untried on an orchid it won't
die right away like a house
plant, if the chemical is too strong or petroleum distillates.
Good luck,
Wendy

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
. ..
Yesterday I've noticed SCALE parasites on couple of my orchids. I've seen
scale on my ferns, but that was killed off by Bayer Dual Action Rose and
Flower Insect Killer.

It is very effective on scale, most effective of everything I used so
far. Can I possibly use it on orchids (phals, cattleyas, dendrobium) w/o
damaging plants? Has anybody in this group used commercial bug sprays on
their orchids without damaging them?

Thanks for your input, - Maggie's Mom.