Old 30-04-2008, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default stop snails climbing shrubs

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
We have a 2yr old weeping Caragana Arborescens in a large pot in front
garden, and snails are determined to killl kill kill.

It's a case of picking off 20+ every night, and last year they
succeeded
in
destroying all new shoots, and bypassing a cardboard collar I fitted
stop
them climbing up.

What other ideas to stop them do you have?

thanks,
lol

Get a large pan and fill with water, create an island in the middle and
stand pot on it, the water gap will stop them as long as its over 2".
make sure the pot is not in the water.
Spray plant on dry evenings with a liquid slug & snail killer
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Charlie, is that 2" deep or 2" from the side to the pot? ie they have to
swim or stretch 2"?

Mike

They wont swim but a big one can stretch a surprisingly long way, so I
reckon 2" horizontal as a minimum
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk