Old 30-04-2008, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default stop snails climbing shrubs

On 30/4/08 16:27, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Apr 30, 11:15 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Lol" wrote in message

m...

We have a 2yr old weeping Caragana Arborescens in a large pot in front
garden, and snails are determined to killl kill kill.

It's a case of picking off 20+ every night, and last year they succeeded
in destroying all new shoots, and bypassing a cardboard collar I fitted to
stop them climbing up.

What other ideas to stop them do you have?

thanks,
lol

Why cardboard?

Solid copper collars work very well - not 100% because they travel under as
well as overground.

Mary

There is someone who contributes to this group who has a copper
business, it may be that she might be interested in this, I certainly
would be interested in using copper collers.

Judith

We have a Camphill Community not far from us and we sell their pots.
Sometimes they also make copper rings and they're extremely popular with our
customers, so it seems as if they work.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk