Old 30-04-2008, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default stop snails climbing shrubs

"Lol" wrote ...
We have a 2yr old weeping Caragana Arborescens in a large pot in front
garden, and snails are determined to killl kill kill.

It's a case of picking off 20+ every night, and last year they succeeded
in destroying all new shoots, and bypassing a cardboard collar I fitted to
stop them climbing up.

What other ideas to stop them do you have?

We stood out large hosta pot on a copper impregnated mat and that worked a
treat, got them free with our Rootrainers as a trial so they should be
available.
I've also found that coffee grounds (strong roast) work well, always had a
real snail problem in our front garden such that at one point I used to pay
a local child 1p each for them he collected but since I've been putting the
coffee grounds around the plants I've not seen one. Seems from what I've
read that neither snails nor slugs like caffeine.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden