Old 30-04-2008, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
PDM PDM is offline

Default Gabbages

You said they wilted. This may be caused by overheating. Coldframes can get
very very hot - hotter than a greenhouse even. It's the size; being small
they heat up very quickly and need a lot of ventilation in the sun. Can't
see it being the lime; although it is not usual to put in the pots, only on
the soil. Don't know what that Westland stuff is. But wonder if you didn't
over do it. If I do ever use fertilizer on seedlings, it only used at low
rates so perhaps this may be the cause.

PDM.

PS: I'm in the West Mids too.

"mw80" wrote in message

Hi

Just a quick one. I am new to gardening and i have taken over an
allotment. I am attempting to grow much of what is intended to go into
the ground from seed. Most things have been pretty successful so far
but i have had problems with my cabbages.

I planted Greyhound and a type of red cabbage (Drumhead?). Nearly all
the seeds germinated and when i thought they were ready to transplant
to biiger pots i did so and moved into my cold frame

It looks like i have lost all of them! We have had no frsot
(UK-Midlands) and everything else is fine. I used Westland West +
Advanced compost with a little bit of lime in (i was advised to do
that)

Anything i have done wrong or have i just been unlucky? It seems
strange that i have lost them all (there are 1 or 2 still alive that i
didn't have time to transplant)

Thanks

--
mw80