Old 30-04-2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pond Addict Pond Addict is offline

Default URGENT - Another sick fish

I'm thinking it's less likely to be flukes because of the large
physical change to the eye. I think flukes would cause less visible
issues. Jo Ann explained to me that brain flukes, while somewhat rare,
are untreatable and can be fatal. I think the issue is that they're in
the brain and therefore the prazi won't get there like it would get to
the gills. Just guessing, but that's my reasoning. She said that if
you see one in the globe of the eye, it's already dead. I've decided
to be blindly optimistic and say it isn't a brain fluke problem, since
if it is, I can't do anything about it except wait and watch to see if
the fish dies.

If I can bring myself to clip and drain this "cover" (and overcome the
fear of making things worse), should I resume antibacterial dips
afterwards or put anything in the water? Or will the salt just help it
along? And just a small cut, right, or remove a lot of it? When you
have a chance, could you ask your Koi club if they think this a
reasonable/safe approach?

Thanks,

Dave