Old 01-05-2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Advice for selecting memorial tree

Grubby

If you can afford to travel for the tree, when you find it, you could have
me and my wife - we are both half Irish and both have a background in tree
biology, come and visit and plant your tree correctly for you. We could
give you sound advice in future care as well. I.e., when you decide to
plant it in the ground.

We planted three willows properly near our home for a old owner and the
trees look great. When we took a closer look the deer (buck) had rubbed
their antlers on the tree creating long wounds. I know that this could set
the stag for certain conditions in the future like a hollow for a creature
to live in, but I wish we had placed wire mesh about 4' from and around the
trees. I really do love the deer, believe they have a right to be here,
believe they require this type of rubbing, but it hurts. So your situation
may require a fence to protect the tree from such wounds, I guess. Just a
suggestion.

John

"GrubbyGreen" wrote in message

Hi All,
First posting. I'm wanting a memorial tree, something that would
blossom in late january. It would need to stay in a pot for a year or
two as we may move. I was told to get a small prunus but various garden
centres have since told me that I won't get one to flower at that time.
However I do remember seeing on in tescos around that time. I just
didn't want to buy a memorial tree in a supermarket. Now I wish I had.

Any advice on what to get?

Where to get it? (I live in Ireland, would be happy to get it mail
order). Am I too late to buy one this year. I would be happy to travel
to a wholesaler to pick one up.

Thanks.

--
GrubbyGreen