Old 01-05-2008, 03:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default alternative veggie filter plants

got a hold of my friend The Pond Lady and she says Siberians do great in veggie
filters. Am waiting for my ferns to arrive. And I think this weekend the cyperus
goes out into the pond. And the figs come out of the garage. Ingrid

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:07:50 EDT, Olde Hippee wrote:

On Apr 22, 1:40 am, wrote:
I know Louisiana iris works fine in a veggie filter or bog. How about Siberian iris?
the plants that stayed in the veggie filter over winter are doing great, so now I am
thinking about different kinds of plants that would be more sculptural. Also, I have
ordered cinnamon and royal fern which like bogs too.

any other unusual plants do well with just the bottom of their pot in the water?
Ingrid

I have curley mint that was sold as a pond plant. I keep it in a big
pot with water in the dish below it instead of in the pond, as it is
more easily accessible for iced tea on the backdeck. The dogs like to
drink the water in the dish, do you think it tastes minty? I haven't
brought myself to try tasting it, but they prefer it to dog dish
water, or the pool in the summer.
I'd try the ferns in the water, maybe with a kamikozi plant from
WalMart or Lowes instead of good ones that you had to order.
Let us know how you make out.
Nan in DE