Old 01-05-2008, 03:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default URGENT - Another sick fish

"neomycin /neo·my·cin/ (-mi´sin) a broad-spectrum aminoglycoside an
tibiotic produced
by Streptomyces fradiae, effective against a wide range of gram-negative
bacilli and
some gram-positive bacteria; used as the sulfate salt."

"An aminoglycoside is a molecule composed of a sugar group and an amino g
roup.[1]
Several aminoglycosides function as antibiotics that are effective agains
t certain
types of bacteria. They include amikacin, gentamicin, kanamycin, neomycin
,
netilmicin, paromomycin, rhodostreptomycin[2], streptomycin, tobramycin,
and
apramycin."

"Aminoglycosides work by binding to the bacterial 30S ribosomal subunit (
some work by
binding to the 50S subunit), inhibiting the translocation of the peptidyl
-tRNA from
the A-site to the P-site and also causing misreading of mRNA, leaving the
bacterium
unable to synthesize proteins vital to its growth."

2-amino-2-hydroxymethyl-1,3-propanediol is "Tris" is a buffer that I hav
e used for
DNA and protein gels, it keeps the pH up, that is higher than 7.0.

The other ingredient is Disodium ethylenediaminetetraacetate dihydrate or
EDTA, the
stuff put in vials used for taking blood samples since it prevents clotti
ng by
binding the calcium needed in the clotting pathway.
" * EDTA is used in chelation therapy for acute hypercalcemia, mercury
poisoning
and lead poisoning[7].
* Used as anticoagulant for blood samples
* In veterinary ophthalmology EDTA may be used as an anticollagenase
to prevent
the worsening of corneal ulcers in animals."

"Potentiating effect of EDTA-Tris on the activity of antibiotics against
resistant
bacteria associated with otitis, dermatitis and cystitis."
http://www.dermapet.com/triz_chart.html

mix your own
TrizEDTA Crystals (16oz) on ebay.... $16.99 plus shipping
Neomycin 325 Soluble Powder on ebay... US $4.60 plus shipping
of course gentamicin, kanamycin should also work.

or, use the flush first, the gel second
DermaPet TrizEDTA Aqueous Flush for Dogs and Cats 16oz on ebay ...... $14
..99 + ship
Neomycin 2oz - gel tek for aquatic use on ebay.... $4.49 + ship

Tricide Neo - 22 grams (0.773 ounce) on ebay $19.30 plus ship

Ingrid

.... high salt will trash the fins.

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:31:18 EDT, Pond Addict
m wrote:
Here's a pretty good link about Tricide-Neo. It's expensive, but I
have to say it works as well as they say.
http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/Pr...TricideNeo.htm

My package says, "when added to 5 gallons of distilled water, solution
contains:
8mM USP Disodium ethylenediaminetetraacetate dihydrate,20 mM USP 2-
Amino-2-hydroxymethyl-1,3-propanediol, and 9.5 gm USP Neomycin
Sulfate."

I have no idea what any of that means. They say it punches holes in
bacteria so that the solution's antibiotics flood them.

You can find other places that sell it as well if you Google, but for
sure, it's damn expensive. It comes as a foil envelope of powder that
you mix with distilled water. It's available for a 1 gallon and 5
gallon mix. I got the 5 gallon size because I didn't know about
dipping fish in plastic bags when I ordered.

Slight change of subject but is there anything I can do to help my two
fish with damaged fins heal better? They're in .3% salted 78°F water
as well. Is time the only healer for them?

Dave