Old 02-05-2008, 12:58 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Grey laundry water for garden watering?

"Gas Bag" wrote in message
I was hoping to get some advice regarding the use of grey water from
the laundry for garden watering – mainly lawns.
I’m not at all asking about the legality of it, which is not at all an
issue. Rather I am trying to find out whether or not the grey laundry
water is likely to stuff up my lawns. I use different sorts of washing
powders, switching between different brands, but I typically add:

NapiSan OxyAction MAX

http://www.vanishstains.com.au/whats_new.shtml#1

Is this sort of grey water ok for lawn watering?
What if this grey water was used for deep soil irrigation near plants
and shrubs? (This is much less of an issue at this stage).
I really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

--

i'm instinctively inclined to worry about the addition of napisan, so i
think you're going to have to stop doing that! it has a fearsome reputation

any low- or no-salt and low- or no-phosphorus powder should be fine on a
lawn, however, there are lots of brands available now that are
more-specifically designed to end up as grey water, so go with one of those
& ditch the napisan outright.

i'm always spruiking "aware" (planet ark) washing powder because it's a
great product & easy to get at almost any supermarket & not expensive, and i
can confirm from personal experience that it won't do any harm at all. so
that would be my personal recommendation.

if you use a non-toxic product such as "aware" & are mindful of using the
greywater within 24 hours, you shouldn't have any problems of any kind.
(it's fine for your garden after 24 hours, but gets very germy &
surprisingly smelly, so you need to be aware of not creating a health hazard
before it goes into the ground! :-) most people just use either a home-made
collection point & then send it straight out, or just direct it straight out
(eg flexible pipe directed through the wall or window), or you can have a
plumber install a pretty spectacular certified setup, but you still need to
send it out within 24 hours or else send it down the drain - the plumber
set-ups will have a drain diversion [which seems a waste to me, but is
necessary for sanitary reasons if you live in town & have a lot of washing
to do but it's too wet to water the yard that day] ).
kylie