Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Steve Joyce

Default Pruning Help!

I planted 10 roses last July. The all did woderfully, producing blooms
through the fall. To put them to bed for the winter, I trimmed them but
not harshly. I pretty much left the canes alone but trimmed back the
green growth and mulched heavily around the root bud. We had a very
harsh winter and all, I mean all of my roses look dead. The canes are
dry looking and some are black. Hwever, every single rose has some new
growth sprouting from the center f the root bud. What do I do?? Is now
the time to trim the canes back severely? I'm in central KY, not sure
what zone. All of my roses were purchased at a local garden center,
they're mostly J&P floribundas, hybrids, climbers, bush roses, etc.
Nothing fancy or expensive

Thanks in advance for any replies and advice

Steve