Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lol[_2_] Lol[_2_] is offline

Default stop snails climbing shrubs

"Sandy" wrote in message
Lol wrote:
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
We have a 2yr old weeping Caragana Arborescens in a large pot in front
garden, and snails are determined to killl kill kill.

It's a case of picking off 20+ every night, and last year they
succeeded in
destroying all new shoots, and bypassing a cardboard collar I fitted to
stop
them climbing up.

What other ideas to stop them do you have?

thanks,
lol

Get a large pan and fill with water, create an island in the middle and
stand pot on it, the water gap will stop them as long as its over 2".
make sure the pot is not in the water.
Spray plant on dry evenings with a liquid slug & snail killer
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall

Good idea thanks, theory is sound but not practical - this is about an
18" tub, I'd need to be into landscaping a pond to put it in.

Just found reference to copper strips as a barrier, does that really
work, or simply a cash crop at garden centre tills?

lol

Place a ring of 2p coins around the pot.

I remember sixpences being real silver, but don't think any coins have been
since..

lol.