Old 02-05-2008, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Building planter from scrap lumber

In article , "Dioclese"
NONE says...

Read the link. The sublink for disposal left me at loss. I have a dozen
utility poles that have laid on my property since I bought it many years
ago. I was in the military when I made the contract to buy the land, and
did see same at time of purchase. But, was unaware of likelihood of who
owned same originally (utility poles). Apparently, PEC left them there,
local electric cooperative as best I can tell. The poles vary between 16'
and 19' in length. Not exactly something I can set out by the street for
pickup. I can drag them with much effort. The riding mower, I've found
more effective for moving same.

Are you sure they are creosote treated?

How old are they?

Have you cut through any and smelled creosote? (We have ancient railway
ties that were shoring up part of a hill and in spite of being
thoroughly rotted, any sound wood still smells of creosote when cut,)

I ask because the city here occasionally takes down "old" cedar
telephone poles. Then they mill the wood and send it to a local social
agency for recycling into garden furniture and the like.