Old 02-05-2008, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John T[_2_] John T[_2_] is offline

Default Copper Anti Slug and Snail Rings

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote
I have some old scrap cable under the bench somewhere. Thought I would
give it a try on making some rings/hoops and putting them round the
plants as they come up :-)

Could try to be clever ;-) and put two rings round, one inside the other
about 1 Centimetre apart, but one made of tinned copper wire, then, when
the slug/snail goes over it, there just might be an Electric Current
formed by virtue of two dissimilar metals thus we have our own little
Cathodic Protection system ;-)

Watch this space

The ground is going to have to be very flat for those to work Mike,
usually they are copper rings made out of strip copper, a bit like a
large pastry cutter, so one side can be pushed into the soil so the
little blighters can't crawl under. Of course none of them work for those
slugs that live underground.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Got some copper pipe I could flatten on the Anvil :-))

Mike

You can tell Mikes background!

I would have thought it was worth a try, true the commerialy made slug rings
are fairly deep, but on the other hand, the adverts for bronze garden tools
say that the minute amount of copper that ends up in the ground acts as a
slug dererent, so who knows.

Slugs are not too much of a problem for me (Wirral, well drained sandy
soil), touch wood, but where i used to live, only three miles away they were
a disaster.

John