Old 02-05-2008, 03:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pond Addict Pond Addict is offline

Default URGENT - Another sick fish

What kind of net are you using?

Well, this was another case of me trying to do too much. I had been
getting the fish to the dip by transporting it in a bucket of its tank
water to the "dipping station" (or basement shower as everyone else
here calls it). Since I didn't know about plastic bag dipping, I had
ordered the 5 gal. Tricide-Neo mix, and I had that mixed up in a
sealable bucket down there. I took the fish down and moved it across
and back, rinsing the fish with distilled water to and from the dip. I
did that all with my (gloved) hands for the first two dips and
everything was fine. But, I thought it would be less rough on the fish
to use a net. The only net I could find that would fit in the bucket
was a 10"x7" aquarium net. Definitely not a koi sock, and it has
seams. When I went to put the fish in the dip the 3rd time, I used
that, and it had a little trouble getting out of it. I suspect that
the fin got torn there, probably snagging on a seam. I'm not positive,
but that would make sense. In hindsight, it was a lot less rough just
handling the fish.

As far as the eye goes, I'm definitely seeing big improvements now,
which I'm thrilled about. The very outer part of the eye is no longer
under the protruding "bubble" (meaning the bubble is shrinking), and I
can easily see the black part through the bubble and the fish is
moving it around, looking. There's still a whole lot left to clear (it
still juts out about 1/4"), but I think it's definitely improving and
functional.

Dave