Old 03-05-2008, 01:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
chip chip is offline

Default ducks and labradors

Chris Barnes wrote:
Chip wrote:
If they are anything like the ducks that stroll around the complex of
canals in Florida, for god's sake don't feed them and shoo them away.
They leave a trail of filth and intimated small animals, sometimes
even humans, so that an evening walk was an ordeal. Hated them! Two
now will attract many more later. They will soon be eating your dogs'
kibble.

Otoh, duck eggs are delicious.

(I fully intend to get pet ducks - and Canada geese - for my pond when
it's finished)

Don't say I didn't warn you. I thought they were cute too, for a while.
But after a few weeks their disadvantages really become offensive.

However, if you want to raise them to eat, they are delicious.
When I was a kid my older sister, the babe, had a bunch of boyfriends
win cute fuzzy ducklings for her at the local carnival. We raised them
as pets for about 1 year. Then to my horror my dad slaughtered them.
Tho I did enjoy the meal.

Chip