Old 03-05-2008, 06:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default URGENT - Another sick fish

I dont rely on those who sell medications for recommendations.

I dont rely on those who 1. dont rely on raising fish for a living or 2. treating
fish for a living to recommend medications.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA041 Drs. Ruth Ellen Klinger and Ruth Francis Floyd are
experts. They dont recommend prazi for external flukes.

"WHITE OR YELLOW GRUB
According to Noga, they are caused by Digenean trematode infections (Digenean fluke
infection, metacercarial infection, black spot, white grub, yellow grub). There are
around 1700 species that infect fish. uncommon in cultured fish. Most damage is
when cercaria migrate from gut to form cysts. They are more unsightly than harmfull
when grubs are seen just under the surface of the skin. However, when they erupt,
they can cause bleeding and the fish can die from blood loss if there are a lot of
them erupting. Also the exit hole can get infected. Treatment: keep infect birds or
mammals away from ponds, disinfect and quarantine, kill off the moluscs (snails),
treat with praziquantel bath. " from my website, recommendation of Jo Ann Burke.

Ruth Francis Floyd does not recommend prazi for flukes. I would think if it was
effective and safe she would. Ingrid

On Thu, 1 May 2008 13:37:54 EDT, Pond Addict wrote:
Praziquantel? It is? Everything I see online says things like this: