Old 04-05-2008, 12:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default URGENT - Another sick fish

On Sat, 3 May 2008 13:24:47 EDT, wrote:

I dont rely on those who sell medications for recommendations.

Neither would I, but the explanation was valid regardless.

I dont rely on those who 1. dont rely on raising fish for a living or 2. treating
fish for a living to recommend medications.

Me either. The KHA program is overseen by fish vets and recommendations are
carefully overseen. If you're familiar with the Master Gardener program and
how they protect themselves against liability, very similar.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA041 Drs. Ruth Ellen Klinger and Ruth Francis Floyd are
experts. They dont recommend prazi for external flukes.

All I found at above website:
Praziquantel at 2 -- 10 mg/L for 1 to 3 hours in a bath is effective in
treating adult cestode infections in ornamental fish. At this time, there
is no treatment that can be used for food fish. Also, there is no
successful treatment for plerocercoids. Ponds can be disinfected to
eradicate the intermediate host, the copepod.

Nothing more could I find doing a search for prazi.

"WHITE OR YELLOW GRUB
According to Noga, they are caused by Digenean trematode infections (Digenean fluke
infection, metacercarial infection, black spot, white grub, yellow grub). There are
around 1700 species that infect fish. uncommon in cultured fish. Most damage is
when cercaria migrate from gut to form cysts. They are more unsightly than harmfull
when grubs are seen just under the surface of the skin. However, when they erupt,
they can cause bleeding and the fish can die from blood loss if there are a lot of
them erupting. Also the exit hole can get infected. Treatment: keep infect birds or
mammals away from ponds, disinfect and quarantine, kill off the moluscs (snails),
treat with praziquantel bath. " from my website, recommendation of Jo Ann Burke.

Ruth Francis Floyd does not recommend prazi for flukes. I would think if it was
effective and safe she would. Ingrid

Not everyone keeps up on the latest data apparently. Could be why she's not
one of the vets on the KHA team (that's just a guess on my part as I didn't
ask about her on the board)? Most fish vets are looking at food fish, where
the money is for most of them, and that was what I saw as a
non-recommendation on the site, not to treat food fish. So Dave don't being
eating that fish. ;-)

The data coming in on fish meds has jumped almost like human meds did at
one time. The difference in the last 5-10 years of what is available is
hard to keep up with, imho. Why I use the KHA bulletin board to keep me
up-to-date. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us