Old 04-05-2008, 05:25 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Sean Houtman Sean Houtman is offline

Default Identifying a seedling from the seed

wrote in news:d0253696-cf9c-463b-b02c-
:

I was accidentally provided a seedling that is just coming up when I
was mailed a 5 foot tall tree. It is not a seedling from this tree,
but I cannot find a good website for tree seed identification. Any
ideas? This far I have a 2-3 cm long oblong smooth brown seed (leaves
are just coming so no features yet). The root is single and deep,
already about 8 inches.

Thank you in advance

You don't give us any helpful information, such as where you are, where you
got it, what you got, what else the provider might offer, etc.

My first guess would be the Kentucky Coffee tree, Gymnocladus dioicus, as
seeds of that size are fairly scarce.

Sean

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **