Old 04-05-2008, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default moss problem

In article ,
Bob H writes:
| |
| | Ok, so are all of you who posted replies saying I should let the moss
| | take over both of my lawns?
|
| You can either improve the drainage, radically - which does NOT mean
| top-dressing with sharp sand - or learn to love your moss.
|
| The soil in both gardens is rather heavy and firm, but not with any
| clay. What is involved to improve drainage radically?
| Maybe I should learn to love moss, as it won't grow as quick!

I should be surprised if it has no clay - only the most extreme soils
in the UK don't.

You need to dig it over to a depth of 1-2' to loosen it. Not a quick
task, and not compatible with using the lawn while you do it! Lawn
aerators MAY help, but don't bet on it - however you could try.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.