Old 04-05-2008, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Removal of bindweed

On 4 May, 13:55, Stuart Noble wrote:
Sacha wrote:
On 4/5/08 13:14, in article ,
"Stuart Noble" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 3/5/08 22:54, in article , "Baal"
wrote:

TY Judith
It does work. *It's not pretty but keep your nerve! *Trying to dig it out is
a disaster, frankly because every broken off bit of root gives rise to a new
plant.

I wonder if it works with the dreaded Japanese Knotweed. I know someone
who's just moved into a house and seeing that emerging from the crazy
paving wasn't the best house warming present!

Perhaps you could give her a house warming present of a new paintbrush!

No, sorry, you've lost me there.- Hide quoted text -

Using a good hormone weed killer you could try 2 methods,

1. add a drop or two of wasahing up liquid to Mix and half fill an
empty washing up liquid bottle with the mix. put the top back on,
shake well then just apply the foam to the bind weed, also a good way
to spot treat individual weeds.

2. Put on a rubber glove then a woollen or cotton glove on over it.
Dip your gloved hand into the weedkiller mix, squeze off excess
liquid, you just want the glove damp not dripping, then draw your hand
along the stems of bindweed.

what ever method you use do it in the evening when there is no wind
and the sun has gon off the plants to cut down on evaporation and any
drift of fumes etc to other plants.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries