Old 04-05-2008, 06:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default repotting a blooming phal?

Hi Maggie's Mom,
The rule of thumb is to repot when new growth appears, (new
roots with green tips)
Now, if that were my plant, I would cut the flower spikes & put them in a
vase. They last a long time.
I would repot using some chopped up sphagnum moss & large bark with some
charcoal. I would pot it up in a
plastic pot with lots of drainage holes then insert it into your designers
pot.
First trim off all old mushy roots & rinse plant, dust any cut roots with a
little cinnamon & pot up.
I have just done this with a phal that was left on my doorstep (the
words out) except I didn't cut the flower spike because
all roots were good to go, umm grow! *g* Also it is a young plant to boot.
Anyway I would be curious to find out the condition of your plants roots
if you do decide to repot, also what
others have to say.
Cheers Wendy

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all. As I previously mentioned, I have a phal that is constantly in
bloom. It looks healthy, but the roots are everywhere and the medium looks
like it could be changed. I planned on repotting the plant in Jan. 2007,
but then I had to make emergency trip to Europe, and when I came back
month later, the phal was in bloom. I thought, fine, I will repot it when
it is done blooming, but before the flowers dried up, another flower spike
formed below the flowers, and then another one. Now not only the "old"
flower spike is in bloom, there also is another flower spike with 7
flowers on it. It sprouted sometime in February this year, right above
the old one. As shown in the picture.

Could I possibly repot a blooming phal? Or would it kill the plant?