Old 04-05-2008, 06:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default repotting a blooming phal?

MM,

I'd repot it now. If you look at the roots, you'll see that the aerial roots
(the ones not in the pot) look pretty good, but the lower ones don't. You
can't be certain until you pull it out of the pot, but it's a safe bet that
what's in the pot isn't so hot. You'll need to cut off anything that is
rotten or dessicated and seal the cuts.

Cut the spike off or not; your choice. It's not ideal, but I've repotted at
awkard times out of necessity, and there were no ill effects.

Diana

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Hi Maggie's Mom,
The rule of thumb is to repot when new growth appears, (new
roots with green tips)
Now, if that were my plant, I would cut the flower spikes & put them in a
vase. They last a long time.
I would repot using some chopped up sphagnum moss & large bark with
some charcoal. I would pot it up in a
plastic pot with lots of drainage holes then insert it into your designers
pot.
First trim off all old mushy roots & rinse plant, dust any cut roots with
a little cinnamon & pot up.
I have just done this with a phal that was left on my doorstep (the
words out) except I didn't cut the flower spike because
all roots were good to go, umm grow! *g* Also it is a young plant to
boot.
Anyway I would be curious to find out the condition of your plants
roots if you do decide to repot, also what
others have to say.
Cheers Wendy

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all. As I previously mentioned, I have a phal that is constantly in
bloom. It looks healthy, but the roots are everywhere and the medium
looks like it could be changed. I planned on repotting the plant in Jan.
2007, but then I had to make emergency trip to Europe, and when I came
back month later, the phal was in bloom. I thought, fine, I will repot it
when it is done blooming, but before the flowers dried up, another flower
spike formed below the flowers, and then another one. Now not only the
"old" flower spike is in bloom, there also is another flower spike with 7
flowers on it. It sprouted sometime in February this year, right above
the old one. As shown in the picture.

Could I possibly repot a blooming phal? Or would it kill the plant?