Old 04-05-2008, 10:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Some Fortnight Lilies (Dietes)

"Mary Fisher" wrote after "Bob Hobden" wittered on

I like them but they can be pretty invasive. They will quietly take over
your garden if you let them.

I wish! Here they are a prized greenhouse plant. :-)

I've never seen them - but I don't use the greenhouse for decorative stuff
(except that to me there's nothing more beautiful than masses of
tomatoes). They certainly are pretty.

Mary, the plant is Dietes grandiflora and it is now quite easily available
in the UK if you search in the RHS Plantfinder..
http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietes gives more info. It will reflower on the
old flower spike so don't cut it off after the flowers fade unless it turns
brown and dead.

At least one site suggests they are frost hardy, I know it grows in places
that do get a touch of frost in it's native South Africa, but I'm still
building up mine before I chance a bit outside in a sunny well drained
place.

As for Tomatoes being beautiful, I think you have to go a long way to beat a
row of well grown Savoys in the middle of winter.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden