Old 05-05-2008, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default bottle brush plant

As far as targets go I have this section for you on pruning. Often myrtle
is topped and people claim it was pollarded - not true.
Mulching correct also will also correct. I am willing to help you anyway I
can.

Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

If you would like to get more technical I recommend MODERN ARBORICULTURE,
the book. It can be obtained at your library or they can get it for free.
www.shigoandtrees.com

He was my professor in New Tree Biology Studies
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
. ..
On 5/4/2008 1:35 PM, tuck44 wrote:
I live in bristol uk I have a bottle brush plant that has flowered well
in the last 2years but now looks as if it could have been frost damaged
as all the tips of last years flowers have gone brown although the
leaves are still green. Should I prune the tips or what other treatment
should i use ?

Is your bottle brush Callistemon or Melaleuca? Both are in the myrtle
family and are native to Australia.

The flowers on Callistemon generally last only one season, so last
year's flowers should already be history. Callistemon can be pruned
severely, especially now before summer comes. However, prune only to
above green foliage; pruning below the lowest green leaf may cause the
entire branch to die (similar to pruning lavender). Pruning is not
really necessary except for aesthetic purposes or to remove deadwood.

I'm not familiar with the care of Melaleuca. However, I know that it is
considered an invasive pest in Florida.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean