Old 05-05-2008, 11:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Will solarization kill bamboo?

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
. ..
My old garden (14'x60') has two problems, on the left side where I've
been growing green vegetables I have a terrible bamboo problem. On the
right side where I've been growing tomatoes I have a wilt problem. I have
a new garden (15'x20') this year so I'm planning on letting at least part
of my old garden lay fallow. I'm going to solarize the tomato side to
kill the wilt pathogens. I've been using roundup on the bamboo but it's
never been able to eliminate it. I was wondering if solarization would
kill bamboo? It's supposed to be pretty effective against weeds as well
as pathogens so it might work. On the other hand the bamboo might just
punch it's way through the plastic.

One more question about solarization in general, does it work in New
England? The papers I see on the web are from UC Davis. Ma is a lot
cooler than Ca. For solarization to work it needs to get the soil
temperature pretty high, will it get high enough here?

What's solarization?

Mary