Old 05-05-2008, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default moss problem

Steve Harris wrote:
In article , (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

You can either improve the drainage, radically - which does NOT mean
top-dressing with sharp sand - or learn to love your moss.

I wonder if moss on lawns is more than a simple case of dampness?

I have *very* light sandy soil which hardly ever supports puddles. Even in last years
Gloucestershire floods puddles vanished within 30 minutes of the rain stopping.

I have increasing moss on my lawn.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

I have some moss in my lawn, but not a lot. The lawn was laid by a
professional landscape company. Having prepared the ground they then put
about 3 inches of a mixture of loam and sand over the top for drainage,
a major undertaking I would have thought.