Old 05-05-2008, 02:51 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens
[email protected] spamtrap1888@gmail.com is offline

Default Outside pipe/faucet in Chicago's climate

On May 5, 5:01 am, Newbie wrote:
barbie gee wrote

: Even if you can, I wouldn't.

Why? Just trying to understand. Is it not enough to be careful and shut
the water off before freezing?

"Shut off the line before the first
freeze, and open the outside tap to drain the line. I've had 6' of PVC
outside for 10 years, no problems except when I forgot to turn off
the
line early enough. "

The story is right there. "Shut off the line before the first freeze"
is a lot like the guy on the bus telling the woman wanting directions
to Main Street: "Just watch me and get off the stop before I do." I
think "no problems except when I forgot to turn off the line early
enough" says it all -- Do you really want to live in fear of your
plumbing? One unexpected cold snap while you're out of town, and
you'll have a burst pipe and an icerink in your back yard -- and maybe
even your front yard.

I would have a hose bibb installed on an outside wall where it's not
going to be under a porch. Then get one of those decorative hose reels
that you mount to a wall, and install it on the porch in your dream
location. Then could run a length of hose from the new faucet to the
hose reel.

You will get in the habit of shutting off the water at the house
faucet when you're done watering for the day, so no pipes will freeze.
Put one of those 69 cent globe valves in series if you want to shut
off the water temporarily during the day.