Old 05-05-2008, 03:48 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens
KK[_2_] KK[_2_] is offline

Default Outside pipe/faucet in Chicago's climate

In article ,
Scott in SoCal wrote:

On Mon, 5 May 2008 06:39:47 -0500, barbie gee
wrote:

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Nunya Bidness wrote:

Newbie wrote:
However, a handyman tells us that in Chicago's climate we can't do this.
According to him, the pipe must remain inside the heated building and
the faucet should just come out of the wall.

Is he right, or with some precaution (like shutting off the water well
before winters) can we have a few feet of pipe outside?

Thanks for all advice.

That handyman is full of shit. Slope the outside pipe at about 2" in 10'
and
add a shutoff inside the house. Shut off the line before the first freeze,
and open the outside tap to drain the line. I've had 6' of PVC outside for
10 years, no problems except when I forgot to turn off the line early
enough. Still suggest wrapping the outside pipe with cheap foam insulation
help keep the PVC from sun and UV rays.

You might want to check with a plumber- there's some strange city codes
that
might apply.

Even if you can, I wouldn't.

You enjoy redoing all of your plumbing work when an inspector
discovers that you didn't follow code?

why would an inspector stop by?