Old 05-05-2008, 06:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
[email protected] frankreiff@gmail.com is offline

Default Koi & Pond Newbie Questions

On May 5, 6:05 pm, San Diego Joe wrote:
wrote:

1) depth: is it at all deep enough to keep koi or any other fish?

Definitely not deep enough for Koi. You could keep gold fish though.

Darn.. there go my Koi owning dreams :-(

Goldfish should be okay.. not really my thing, but might be more
entertaining than nothing at all..

Can you mount the grid above the water? Most fish pellets float. This make

it easier to remove uneaten food and avoid contaminating the water

I guess with Goldfish I could just feed them standard sinking goldfish
food :-(

3) lighting during the night?

I'm not sure yet how strong this lighting will really turn out to be,
but is this a problem for Koi?

My fish don't seem bothered by lighting, although I only have it on when I

am there to watch. Don't want to provide predators with an advantage!

It would be on till around midnight every night, but Goldfish are
tough little critters.

If the water won't freeze all the way to the bottom you should be okay, as

long as you can keep a whole open through the ice.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Frank