Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Grey laundry water for garden watering?

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:
?Sheldon wrote:
Jan Flora wrote:

Get some food-grade poly drums and set them up to catch
the rainwater from the downspouts on your house.

Why would food grade drums be necessary for catching rain water
running off a non food grade roof... to do what... pour on the non
food grade ground. ?Am I missing something, or why wouldn't an
ordinary plastic trash can be suitable?

You can buy low quality for like $10-$15 but they will decay from UV
exposure and probably crack from freezing temps.

I have two of these, excellent quality: ?http://tinyurl.com/79bqf

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=46994-1...
92/20&lpage=none

We use those barrels to catch potable water at our cabins. If you set
them so the first rain of the season doesn't go into the ?barrel, the
dust gets washed off roof.

A plastic garbage can degrades from UV a lot faster than a poly drum.

I don't know that's true... like I said, perhaps the cheap ones but my
Rubbermaid trash cans have been out in all sorts of weather for five
years now and show no signs of deterioration.... and just there you
claim to be using the very same trash cans to catch water off your
roof for drinking (potable).

And you have to pay for a garbage can.
We get our poly drums for free.

You're lucky to have a free source, most folks have to pay... because
such items that are made so well that they're reusable aren't
typically free for the taking... and food stores pay a hefty deposit
on those containers so they are not in the habit of giving them away,
maybe you glom/appropriate yours.

I'd be very wary of any claims from someone who warns that water
collection vessels for irrigating the lawn need to be food grade and
then totally ignores the question.

I wonder about using a good ol' fashioned wood barrel, sealed with bees
wax?

It'd be more decorative at the very least.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson