Old 06-05-2008, 01:27 AM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens
Tom J Tom J is offline

Default Outside pipe/faucet in Chicago's climate

Newbie wrote:
We want to instal a faucet outside the building to water the
backyard
lawns. (At present we have to run the hose either from inside or
around the building from the front.)

The way the porches, decks, etc are, it would be convenient if teh
faucet was at the side of the wooden porch, about 10' out from the
brick wall.

However, a handyman tells us that in Chicago's climate we can't do
this. According to him, the pipe must remain inside the heated
building and the faucet should just come out of the wall.

Is he right, or with some precaution (like shutting off the water
well
before winters) can we have a few feet of pipe outside?

Thanks for all advice.

After reading all the replies, I have a suggestion that no one has
mentioned that will work in your area. You have to find the winter
frozen soil depth first. Here is most likely what will stop you. You
have to come from the heated area at least a foot deeper than recorded
frozen soil depth and stay that deep to where you want the faucet. The
faucet you want is a valve that mounts to the pipe you put in below
freeze depth that has the on and off rod up through the stand pipe
hooked to a leaver at the faucet to turn it on and off. You have to
have a gravel bed below the valve in the bottom of the trench because
when you turn the valve off, all water drains out of the stand pipe
that is connected to the valve. Your friendly plumbing supply will
have these in stock that reaches the depth you need & can tell you
someone qualified to install it. This is the type valve on the
drinking fountains someone else mentioned, but didn't know how they
worked.

For what you want, that's too expensive. Put the freeze proof faucet
through the wall and run a re-enforced hose to where you want the
faucet and use adapters that are available to put a faucet on that
"summer outside pipe" hose.

Tom J