Old 06-05-2008, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Burr Oaks

On 5/5/2008 4:40 PM, Jacqueline Davidson wrote:
My sister has sent what she calls burr oak acorns. I want to plant them.
Should acorns have the cute little caps removed before planting? Should
they be scored? soaked? What?
Thanks, Jackie, zone 7

I've sprouted acorns of white oaks. One of the "sprouts" is now a tree
much taller than my two-story house, about 20 inches in diameter at
chest height (the height at which tree girth if often measured), with a
branch spread of 45 feet or more. It's 31 years old.

Acorns from that tree are now trees planted in a nearby park. See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_oak_acorn.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean