Old 06-05-2008, 05:24 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Sean Houtman Sean Houtman is offline

Default What plant is this?

kauhl-meersburg wrote in news:fvnn1g$9qj$02$1
@news.t-online.com:

Gnarlodious schrieb:
Growing in Manhattan:
http://etc.Gnarlodious.com/Images/Pictures/P5040532.jpg

-- Gnarlie

hello,

to early for being sure, please prosecute growing, esp. stem structure -

for the moment I guess heracleum mantegazzianum

cheers kauhl

It isn't a Heracleum, you can clearly see the woody stems, and opposite
leaves, along with a number of flower buds. I suspect that it is probably a
Viburnum, several of which are called Snowball bush. Viburnums can have a
lot of variability in leaf shape between species, but opposite leaves, and
last year's bark shredding easily are usually pretty good identifiers.

Sean