Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Will solarization kill bamboo?

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 May 2008 15:21:12 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

What's solarization?

Mary

Solarization is done by covering the garden with clear plastic for the
entire summer. The plastic acts as a greenhouse so it raises the
temperature of the soil to 110F.

Thank you. It would also keep the soil dry though, which isn't good for
most plants.

Mary

It's not supposed to be good for the plants that are there, it's supposed
to kill them. Solarization is a means of sterilizing the soil, the idea
is to cook the fungi, weeds and other undesirable pests out of the soil.
It takes the whole summer so you can't use that piece of garden again
until the next year. I have enough garden space so that I can afford to
let some land lay fallow and I'm keen to give solarization a try assuming
it can work in my area. It's apparently a very effective technique in the
hot parts of the country, but it's not clear that it will work here in
Massachusetts which is why I'm asking if anyone has used it in a New
England like climate.

I've been thinking about this reply. It seems to me that not only would you
kill fungi, weeds and undesirable pests, you'd also kill fauna which you
want. And weeds would re-establish themselves by seeding. It doesn't seem a
good idea to me.

How long has it been practised?

I suppose if you have a lot of land it's practicable, providing you don't
mind killing everything.

Mary