Old 06-05-2008, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Automatic irrigation timers and pressure

Martin Pentreath wrote:

The problem I am
having is that the pressure of my water supply has always been a bit
marginal. Without the timer attached to the tap the system works fine.
With the timer screwed on the pressure suffers, and in particular the
sprayers and sprinklers turn feeble and don't cover the area they
should. The timer is B&Q's own £25 cheapie:
http://shortlinks.co.uk/kfv
When the water is running the timer makes a high pitched whining
noise, I guess the water is made to drive some sort of wheel for some
reason which must take some of the oomph out of it. (Incidentally I
don't use the separate pressure reducing fitting supplied with the
system for obvious reasons.)

So the question is, is it worth splashing out for a different make of
timer, or will I find the same thing happening?

I have a Hozelock system, which includes this timer
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Aqu.../dp/B000TAUF92

It has worked well for a couple of seasons so far. As far as I
can tell, the timer is simply a motor driven valve. As it opens
or closes a motor whirrs briefly. When in operation there seems
to be no significant flow obstruction.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK