Old 06-05-2008, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Blank Canvas-How do I start?

On 6 May, 09:23, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,Jamista writes:

| I am a complete novice gardener who has just relandscaped her garden. *I
| have several large empty beds and am looking for advice on what to
| plant.

You should give an idea of the size of garden, heights needed (e.g.
for privacy), soil type (roughly - e.g. clay/loose/etc.) and the
location. *All are rather important.

| In addition I am planning a pergola and would like suggestions on what
| to grow up it for fast coverage with preferably flowers.

How big? *The best solution is to plant a permanent climber or two
and grow annuals (e.g. sweet peas, morning glory etc.) while it
establishes. *You are not too late for this year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I would go with Sachas idea of the Yellow Book, but also look at
gardens in your area and the local parks, this will show you what
grows well in your area and what they look like mature.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries