Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Three questions

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
| "Cat(h)" wrote in message
|
| Question 3 - I was weeding around my fruit bushes, when I noticed that
| some of the gooseberry bush branches which were touching the ground
| had taken root there. I assume therefore that it can be propagated by
| layering? Am I safe in cutting off one of those branches from the
| main plant, and planting it on somewhere else?

Yes.

| That's interesting, I wonder if it happens with other soft fruit bushes ...
| it would be nice to increase the number ...

Most straggling or semi-straggling shrubs will increase by layering,
and some other plants. In my experience, it is by far the best way
for the amateur to propagate most plants - when it works. You can
wait until the layer has a proper root system, and the new plant is
much better grown than ones from cuttings.

Commercial growers prefer cuttings, as you can produce more plants
at one time, but that is no justification for the books written for
amateurs parroting the merits of cuttings and ignoring layering.
Taking cuttings of most plants is tricky, and you have to sacrifice
the shoots needed for the cuttings; layering is almost always easy,
and you have lost little if it fails.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.