Old 06-05-2008, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Three questions

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Most straggling or semi-straggling shrubs will increase by layering,
| and some other plants. ...
|
| Thanks for that, Nick, but my red, white and black currant bushes and our
| gooseberry, don't straggle at all.
|
| Perhaps I could bend a branch ...

Yes. Or try aerial layering - tricker than normal layering, but no
more so than cuttings.

Many or most upright shrubs (and many trees) will layer readily if
their young branches are in contact with soil - but, of course, it
rarely happens unless they fall over! Some are bendable, but others
are not.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.