Old 06-05-2008, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default getting rid of sycamores

On Tue, 6 May 2008 12:39:30 +0100, KatherineF
wrote:

Hi

We bought a house last year and 4 syacmores growing on the borders just
inside the neighbours gardens. They have not been planted, just growing
basically as weeds. The previous owner cut them down to the ground and
tried to poison the stump, but failed and now 3 have grown up as lots
of thin trunks, the tallest about 10-12 foot tall. The other was not
cut and is therefore only one trunk

So my questions are - for the single trunk, how low down do I have to
ring it to kill it?
For the others - how can I kill them?! Is poisoning the only way, and
if so whats the best (legal) one, and how do I apply it?

Thanks
Katherine

Why ring it? Cut it down 2-3 times a year. After 2 years it should
be dead.

I have three "wild" large sycamore trees and enjoy them very much. The
trunk bark patterns are interesting especially during the winter
months. They don't seem to need any special care and appear to be
disease resistant.