Old 06-05-2008, 03:48 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens
Newbie Newbie is offline

Default Outside pipe/faucet in Chicago's climate

Scott in SoCal wrote:

: I am no great expert on the issue, but the following fact concerns me.
: We all see potholes and damage to various surfaces from thawing and
: freezing cycles. Now, it seems to me that this water was completely
: open on one side. It could have just expanded into the air, but no, it
: expanded in all directions and did the damage.
:
: Well, once the part exposed to the cold air freezes, I'm guessing the
: rest of the water can no longer expand in that direction as it
: freezes. The older ice forms a solid barrier, forcing the newer ice to
: expand in other directions.

Makes sense and also, the open end closest to the cold air should
freeze first, forming the kind of barrier you suggest. Then, the same
will happen to the hose. The open air will freeze first, causing the
rest of the water to damage the pipe when it freezes later.