Old 06-05-2008, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,free.uk.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Manure, compost. Whats the difference?

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
Hey expert gardeners!!

I just taken on new allotment which, as expected, is pretty overgrown with
bindweed n couch grass n stuff I don't recognise.

So, I started double digging the whole plot to remove as much as possible
of all of these deep rooted perennial nasties.. It will take me until end
of August to complete this.

Some people say I should then cover the dug ground with rotted manure and
leave it over winter. Others say I should cover it with compost. But I
don't know the difference between rotted manure and compost?

Are they the same thing?

Ed

Hi Ed

Manure is 'Oats which have been through the Horse' and Stable Straw and left
to rot, compost is the stuff from the garden which has rotted in a heap or
compost bin :-))

Mike