Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Koi & Pond Newbie Questions

On Mon, 5 May 2008 10:45:33 EDT, wrote:

I'm interested in keeping Koi, but even a cursory glance over the
literature is giving me second thoughts about a few issues. Here's a
description of the pond:

Size: about 8 x 8m (24x24 feet)

Depth: around 50 cm ( 2 feet)

I wouldn't give up on koi unless you want to raise competition fish
instead of just pretty fish to enjoy. If you want to keep competition
fish of high quality ranging from $250 for a fish that probably will
grow into a real winning fish to several thousand for ribbon winners,
I would suggest you are screwed and must begin again with a very deep
pocket full of money.

OTOH I've just posted a picture of a pond Joanne and Wayman's pond
that is only about 2' deep and has no bottom drain also has stones
covering the bottom and these things are all wrong, so who cares,
since Joanne and Wayman like their pond and the sight of their fish
and don't give a hoot about the finer shape, color, competition,
Japanese terminology and price someone else is willing to pay for a
fish. They simply enjoy their pond and fish. I hope you can find a
way to work things out and enjoy koi too.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb