Old 06-05-2008, 06:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
[email protected] frankreiff@gmail.com is offline

Default Koi & Pond Newbie Questions

On May 6, 3:52 pm, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Although people would like more depth, you can in fact keep koi in
your pond. The rule of thumb is 1,000 Gal for the first koi and 100
for each additional one. Your pond is something like 7,000 US
gallons. It is a bit on the shallow side, but if it will not freeze,
they will survive fine in it.

Cheers.

I am trying to imagine a metal grid for an 8 meter pond!

I'm going to see it on Saturday if everything works out ok..

A lot of us would want to encourage you to have your gardenr work out
some sort of veggie filter rather than only a mechanical one. Saves
work!

Yes, just like the plant aquarium keepers.. a bit late in my case and
I can't imagine plants looking right in this pond.

You can fit a bottom drain and have a waterfall, even if it is not
built in.

Excellent. I'll have to do some further reading up now that I know
that there might well be a point to it.

Keep us posted, or post some pics or drawings somewhere. Folks will
have lots of ideas for you.

Will do.

Our pond is 12 x 22 x 2 and has handled the koi fine for more than a
decade. You can see it on our google profile link.

I'll have a look now.

Thanks again.