Old 06-05-2008, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Sheep eating tree bark

Lyle wrote in
:

Hi Folks, I have an orchard into which I let my Scottish
Blackface Sheep graze, however some of them (not all) have
acquired a taste for the bark of the trees of which there
are hundreds. Does anyone know of an application which can
be applied to the tree bark up to a height of about 1 metre
which will stop/deter these peskie creatures? I have heard
of an old remedy of bitumen spray on then covered in sand;
I wonder is there a simpler product/paint?

a circle of stock fence (4x4 squares, 4' high) around each
tree. it won't be any harder than painting each tree with
poisonous chemicals... & the fruit will still be edible.
in my experience, sheep really aren't browsers & don't eat
bark or low branches if there is enough suitable grazing. is
there enough grass for the number of sheep in your orchard?
can you exclude the sheep that choose to browse?
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there