Old 06-05-2008, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Simon Stroud Simon Stroud is offline

Default Automatic irrigation timers and pressure

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
So the question is, is it worth splashing out for a different make of
timer, or will I find the same thing happening?

Before I gave up bothering with replacing the bits of my automatic
watering system that had failed to survive the winter (usually about 25%
of the fittings), I used to use four timers, each running a different part
of the system at a different time, to overcome the problem of low
pressure.

Colin Bignell

Same(ish) here.

My Hozelok watering system is split into two with two timers. They turn on
at slightly different non-overlapping times, so each half of the garden gets
the benefit of full mains pressure and that's plenty to run all the outlets.
Before I divided it I had to faff around adjusting all the drippers,
sprayers etc to perfection so there was just about enough water to go round.
Now it all works a treat.

Interestingly I haven't had to replace any bits due to frost damage. I do
drain it all down as much as I can each winter, when I remember.

The Hozelok things that I have found to be particularly damaged by winter
outside are the hoze spray handset things. I've got through several of them
over the years.

Regards,
Simon.