Old 06-05-2008, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Default Legal height for conifers?

Sally Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 6 May 2008 19:50:42 +0100, Jo wrote
(in article c6Odnf4zAYUeNb3VnZ2dnUVZ8v6dnZ2d@plusnet):

Is there a legal height for conifers?

The owners of the garden behind ours have a wall of 4 enormous conifers
which, over the past few years, have grown so tall that they are
increasingly blocking the sunlight in our garden.

We were wondering if there is a legal height for such trees.

AFAIR it is 2 metres. There's an outfit called Hedge Line which appears to
be hosted he
http://freespace.virgin.net/clare.h/

They should have the information you want. However, it would be better to
talk to your neighbours first in a friendly way to see if they would agree to
lopping them.

You'll know from my posts I'm about as much a beginner gardener as it's
possible to be :-) But I'd always try and resolve an issue with
neighbours in a friendly way. Most of the time the neighbour doesn't
even realise there's an issue.